While Spot IVR is pre-configured to acquire an IP address automatically via DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), you also have the option to assign a static IP address manually. This guide will walk you through the process of assigning a static IP address to your Spot IVR, and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each method.
Comparing DHCP and Static IP
Here are the key differences between DHCP and Static IP:
|DHCP IP||Static IP|
Steps to Assign a Static IP
To configure a static IP for your Spot IVR, follow these steps:
Step 1: Access Spot IVR's local troubleshooting page (refer to this article for guidance).
Step 2: Scroll to the "Network Interfaces and Configuration" section at the bottom of the troubleshooting page.
Step 3: Set the IP, gateway, and DNS.
- The static IP address should be in CIDR format, e.g., 172.22.222.5/24, where 172.22.222.5 is the IP address assigned to the IVR and /24 represents the subnet. Contact your Network Administrator for assistance finding an available IP address in your network.
- The gateway is the IP address of the router upstream from the IVR, likely the device that provides your internet connection. In this example, we use 172.22.222.1.
- The DNS server translates human-readable names (like google.com) into machine-readable IP addresses (like 126.96.36.199). Reliable public DNS servers include Google (188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206), OpenDNS (220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168), and Cloudflare (22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199). For redundancy, set two different servers.
- If the static IP is intended for the IVR to access the internet, ensure the DHCP toggle is turned off. If DHCP remains on, the IVR will attempt to use a DHCP-provided IP for internet access, even if there is no DHCP address.
- Public IP addresses cannot be statically configured on the Spot IVR.
Step 4: Save the changes by clicking on 'Save Configuration'
- It may take a minute or two for the changes to be applied to the IVR. Once enough time has passed, refresh the page to see the new IP configuration.
We hope this article was useful to you, please leave us a comment or feedback as it will help us improve our customer support center.